Report Reveals Most Truck Drivers Lack CSA Understanding
A recent report from the American Transportation Research Institute (ATRI) revealed that truck drivers don’t fully comprehend Compliance Safety Accountability (CSA), the FMCSA’s new regulatory program.
The report, based on survey data collected from over 4,500 truck drivers earlier this year, uncovers a lack of understanding of what CSA is and does. For example, over 77 percent of the truck drivers surveyed incorrectly believe that a trucking company inherits past violations from newly hired truck drivers. In addition, nearly two-thirds of truck drivers are concerned that they will lose their jobs as a result of CSA.
The ATRI report, which can be seen here, also includes recommendations for enhancing driver knowledge and support through multiple training and educational sessions. What’s clear, based on the report, is that “motor carriers, state trucking associations and FMCSA collectively need to do more to educate drivers about CSA and what it does and doesn’t mean for their jobs,” said Ed Crowell, Georgia Motor Trucking Association President and CEO.
Nearly two years ago, in an effort to further enhance our drivers’ safety awareness, Driving Ambition embraced a robust driver safety training program using Vertical Alliance’s Infinit-i safety training platform. The fact that drivers can simply go online and log-in to complete over 200 safety-related modules, including CSA, is what makes Infinit-i’s program so valuable.
Driving Ambition will continue to do our part to reduce the number of truck drivers who have misconceptions about CSA. In the meantime, please find more helpful CSA resources for truck drivers below.
CSA Resources for Truck Drivers
- www.csa.fmcsa.dot.gov– The FMCSA has improved several areas on its CSA website
- The Your Role pages have been enhanced and a new section specifically for drivers has been added. Each role page now contains a stakeholder-specific toolkit of CSA materials, links to important FMCSA websites, and a comprehensive list of questions and answers specific to each major stakeholder group.
- A new Resources page, where stakeholders can download a toolkit customized to their role, has replaced the previous news and media page. A new search feature allows visitors to customize their searches using keywords or simple checkboxes. The search results provide the most relevant documents as well as a list of the top five relevant Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs).
- Vertical Alliance’s Infinit-i Safety Training
- Driving Ambition’s CSA Blog Updates
Driving Ambition is a premier CDL truck driver staffing company serving Indiana, Ohio, Kentucky, and Tennessee. Since 2001, we have specialized in matching safe, experienced CDL drivers for our customers and great job opportunities for our professional truck drivers.
Our commitment to safety and building solid working relationships with both customers and CDL drivers has allowed us to earn an unparalleled reputation with our Proven Drivers and Exceptional Service.